Canadian General Review of Construction

Canadian Engineers

I am involved with development of a standard that is going to include a
statement/clause relating to professional "Review" of construction (e.g.
NBCC clause 2.6). What I found during committee discussion is that there
are different performance expectations depending on which side of the
issue you stand. Additionally, many of the committee members are very
Ontario focused but the standard will be nationally directed. This makes
it difficult to ensure that the wording is generic enough for all
provinces but specific in intent.

Ontario has its own requirements for "General Review" (OBC clause 2.3.2)
in the Building Code and this is backed up by 1) a clause in the
regulation under the Professional Engineers Act and 2) Professional
Practice Guides published by Professional Engineers Ontario. (This is
also covered by the Architects Act but they aren't a concern in this
issue).

What is the LAW pertaining to regulatory requirements for construction
review in other Provinces? I'm looking for specific text.

I don't have a copy of the BCBC or ABC and would appreciate if somebody
could email me to arrange to fax the relevent clauses. Also, if there
are guides, interpretations or bulletins outlining expectations or
establishing professional standards of practice, in any province, I
could use those as well.

Ontario is also developing an exam based registration for building code
practitioners (professional or otherwise). Is this happening elsewhere
in Canada?

Please email me directly but do not send attachments or faxes, yet.
ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org

Thanks.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.