Re: Solid Grout Existing CMU Wall

Jim,

A procedure similar to that used for crack repair by injecting grout into a
URM wall could be used for the CMU cell-filling that need to do.  Inject
into each cell at the bottom, with a verification port at the top of the
void to show you when the void is filled.  Use an admixture such as Sika
Grout Aid or Premix Grout Additive by EZ-Mix to give the grout slight
expansive quality to assure you don't end up with a lot of grout columns
that will rattle around inside the wall.

Either a pressure pot, or a grout pump may be used.  Since you may never
need to do this again and grout pumps are expensive, you may prefer to buy a
pressure pot from Sears or Home Depot -- then all you need is a compressor.

Let me know if you would like to contact a So. CA contractor who has done
this -- I'll tell you how to get in touch.

Nels

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA