RE: Looking for a Good Cold-Form Steel Design Reference

Another suggestion is to contact Larry Williams at the Light Gauge Steel
Engineers Association (LGSEA) at http://www.lgsea.com. LGSEA is one of
the most aggressive associations on the standardization and design of
Cold-form steel. They are the authors of the revised shearwall tables
used in the 1997 UBC (and I assume ICC codes although I have not
checked) and are very up to date about cfs design.
You need to be careful about the books you buy for reference. You might
consider purchasing the seminar notes from LGSEA on light-gauge steel
design as the latest methods. One book that Amazon carries is written by
a local engineer here in the desert. I should actually say that he
simply assembled the prescriptive HUD methods years ago, put his name on
it and published it. I don't want to say publically, but I am very weary
about CFS manuals as the standardization of studs and joists has just
started to become consistent in the last few years.
It's a worthwhile organization to invest in as a member as well since
they have a long way to go in their work and are one of the more
progressive material associations (the first to provide Internet
Webcasts for seminars).

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer