Wood Supporting Steel

For some reason, I have it in my head that if you have a steel beam in wood construction that you can't support it with a wood column. I tried finding that in UBC 97 but I have not been able to locate a section stating this in either Chapter 22 or 23.

Did I just make this up? The architect called me on this and now I'm wondering if I just made this decision because you still have to provide a positive connection for framing members. The beam is purely for gravity loads and it's deflection controlling. The architect is doing this on his own but I told him the steel column requirement and now I'm just wondering if I should tell him its a connection issue not a code requirement.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Seth W. Cutler
R. L. Morrison Engineering Co.