From: Gary [mailto:garyd(--nospam--at)structuralconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 7:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: steel sheet piles

Our office has never designed/detailed steel sheet pile shoring before, so I
have a few questions about this.

1.  It seems from my net searches that these are predominantly manufactured
in the UK/Europe.  I cannot find any US manufacturers.  Is this the norm?
Are there any local manufacturers typically used in So Cal?

2.  I cannot find recommended design moments for particular sections, only
the section modulus of the pile.  Is there a particular code sheet piles is
covered under?  Is there a usual grade of steel specified?  It seems to me
the design would need to address things like local buckling similar to cold
formed design, but I see no info on that.

Thank you in advance for your help

Gary Duncan, PE

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org