Re: steel sheet piles

Gary,

To find where a particular section is manufactured, go to
http://www.pilebuck.com/ and click on "sheet piling
specifications".  Then select your profile and you will get a
list of sections and their manufacturers.  There are several
American manufacturers including Nucor and Chaparral

We normally specify A572 Gr. 50 sheets.  The allowable flexural
stress is 0.667*Fy according to a data sheet I have from Skyline
Steel (which distributes the German made Arbed sections i.e.
AZxx's).  However, the manual "Design of Sheet Pile Walls, EM
1110-2-2504" from the corp. (download here
http://www.usace.army.mil/inet/usace-docs/eng-manuals/em.htm),
lists the allowable stress as 0.5*Fy for combined bending and
axial load.  We normally use 0.667*Fy.

Hope this helps.

Tripp Howard

--- Gary <garyd(--nospam--at)structuralconsulting.com> wrote:
> Our office has never designed/detailed steel sheet pile
> shoring before, so I
> have a few questions about this.
>
> 1.  It seems from my net searches that these are predominantly
> manufactured
> in the UK/Europe.  I cannot find any US manufacturers.  Is
> this the norm?
> Are there any local manufacturers typically used in So Cal?
>
> 2.  I cannot find recommended design moments for particular
> sections, only
> the section modulus of the pile.  Is there a particular code
> sheet piles is
> covered under?  Is there a usual grade of steel specified?  It
> seems to me
> the design would need to address things like local buckling
> similar to cold
> formed design, but I see no info on that.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help
>
> Gary Duncan, PE

> *
> *