From: npitera(--nospam--at)mmm.com [mailto:npitera(--nospam--at)mmm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 6:26 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Temporary Timber Mats

I have a situation where I need to shore a steel column for repair and
reinforcement near the base of the column ( long story). I'm attaching
steel brackets to the column and having the brackets bear on some steel
beams. I'm planning on having the steel beams ( about 36 kips end beam
reaction) bear on a temporary timber mat with a steel top plate that
rests on a 6" reinforced concrete slab.

The timber mats would be about 3'-6" high x 6'-0"x 6'-0". My question is
what is the best type of wood timbers to specify for this type of
application? Oak?

Any comments on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nick.