NDA Question

I have a question regarding non-disclosure agreements.  Do consulting engineering firms typically ask their employees to sign non-disclosure agreements?  If so, what are the primary stipulations in such an agreement.  I understand that in general, spreadsheets, programs, and other tools developed by the employee (a) on company time and/or (b) with company resources such as computers, etc. are the property of the company.

However, over time the employee learns & develops certain styles and preferences, such as how to detail certain connections or how to design certain aspects of the structure.  This type of "know-how" doesn't seem to be so black-and-white.  I am interested in the opinions of people on this list regarding this topic.

Are there any other "normal" restrictions that an employer typically imposes upon their engineering employees?

Thanks in advance,
Johnny Drozdek, P.E.