RE: Wood Supporting Steel

The only problem that I can see is the timber post will shrink.  If you have
5-story then the shrinkage could be problem.

-----Reply-----

But if it were a wood beam a wood post would still shrink.

A major problem in multi-storey wood-framed structures is differential
settlement between "hard" elements, such as masonry elevator shafts or steel
posts (which don't shrink (much)), and "soft" elements such as wood studs
which do shrink.

If the entire building is supported only on wood studs and posts then it
will likely shrink/settle fairly evenly. But if local areas of floor are
supported on "hard" elements there may be differential settlement, which
will accumulate at each floor, that can potentially create local floor
slopes of half an inch or more at upper floors.

Peter James