Narrow Garage Piers - Residential

Hello List,

I'm looking for some clarification on the wording of 1997 UBC Table 23-II-G, Footnote 3 (revised per errata January 2001):

"In Seismic Zone 4, the maximum ratio (...height-width...) may be 3-1/2:1 for walls not exceeding 10 feet in height on one side of the door to a one-story Group U Occupancy."

The part that I'm getting tripped up on is the "...one side of the door" phrase:  Does it mean that you can only use ONE SIDE, even if BOTH sides meet this criteria, or does it mean IF ANY ONE SIDE ("either side") meets the criteria, you may use the stated ratio.  It doesn't make sense to only allow this criteria for one side if both sides meet it -- maybe there's some history behind the footnote that someone can share.

I'm talking about engineered construction (as opposed to "conventional") and I know there are realistic limitations to the behavior of these short panels, but I'm just looking to see what everyone's understanding of that footnote is.

Thank you,
Dave Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
Tulare, CA