RE: Wood Supporting Steel

Yes, but then it all shrinks together.  George Richards, P. E.
-----Original Message-----
From: ken kirkland [mailto:kenmail234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 9:21 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Wood Supporting Steel

The only problem that I can see is the timber post will shrink.  If you have 5-story then the shrinkage could be problem.

"Seth W. Cutler" <seth(--nospam--at)rlmorrisonengr.com> wrote:
For some reason, I have it in my head that if you have a steel beam in wood
construction that you can't support it with a wood column. I tried finding
that in UBC 97 but I have not been able to locate a section stating this in
either Chapter 22 or 23.

Did I just make this up? The architect called me on this and now I'm
wondering if I just made this decision because you still have to provide a
positive connection for framing members. The beam is purely for gravity
loads and it's deflection controlling. The architect is doing this on his
own but I told him the steel column requirement and now I'm just wondering
if I should tell him its a connection issue not a code requirement.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Seth W. Cutler
R. L. Morrison Engineering Co.