Re: CURVED/RADIUS Wood Beams

Gerard,

        I don't know why you can't do this; but I foresee two problems.

1.) Anchoring the reactions to resist torsion is one.  Shrinkage of the wood after installation will also complicate the problem.

2.) The low shear modulus will contribute to large torsional deformations.

        Is it possible to use a hollow structural to resist the torsion and encase it in wood to give the appearance of wood?

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

"Gerard Madden, SE" wrote:

I have the need to design several curved wood beams for a project. They are radiused in plan (not arched). From looking at several spiral wood stairs over the years, I have come to understand that these are usually made with thin plywood laminations, bent, glued, and screwed to form the helix.

The beams on my project are not helixed, just radiused (curved in plan, flat in elevation) so I?m wondering if this is still the way to go. Can glulams be specified with the curve in the weak axis? Any references, books, or other info that could be shared would be appreciated. I am hoping to get information on lam thicknesses, type of adhesives and fasteners, joints in lams, and species available and suitable for curvature.

TIA,

-gerard

Santa ClaraCA