RE: perforated shear walls

Dennis Wish wrote....

Specifically with regard to perforated walls, I can not accept the lack
of need for holddowns at the sides of piers adjacent to large openings.
I can believe that small windows can be strapped (above and below) to
take out most of the negative effect associated to individual
shearwalls, by the use of drag struts created above and below openings.

I believe this also and a couple of simple FEM models confirm that your intuition is correct. I would be more inclined to use this provision if it was modified to require holdowns at each side of door openings as well as at the ends.

Jim K.