RE: steel lintel for brick

Mr. Kester:

We just did one of these repairs...

It sounds similar to our case, so my guess is the lintel is an angle plus an
LVL or some sort of wood header...

The angle is rotating because is not laterally braced or bolted to the
header in back along
The 20 foot span.

The angle is "rolling" about its axis, causing the open mortar joint at
midspan.

Our remedy was to bolt the angle to the header, which required
Removing the brick, drilling holes in the angle and shimming it tight to
The face of the wood header, re-flashing the head and replacing the brick.

It's a major pain in the a**, but it's a common problem in long spanning
Lintels in brick veneer construction.

Good luck,

David L. Fisher, SE, PE
Senior Principal