From: Andrew Kester [mailto:andrew(--nospam--at)baeonline.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 10:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: steel lintel for brick

I performed an structural evaluation for an upscale residence today, and
stumbled upon a strange situation.

House is wood framed with brick cladding. To support the brick over the
garage door, about 20ft or so, is a steel lintel of some type, I am guessing
an angle but I guess it could be a T section. The bottom bearing mortar
joint has seperated from the brick almost enough to jamb a pen into the gap.
This is the most in the middle, but exists to the end. There are no cracks
or other signs of distress in the brick. Any guesses as to what is causing
this?

I am going to suggest the gap be filled with mortar/grout or a steel shim.
Any other better ideas??

I can email anyone a couple of pics privately if you so desire..

Thanks,

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL