RE: Braced Frame Cladding

Are you the building designer, the design-build cladding contractor, or
someone else in the design team? Usually in CA the cladding system is
design build and the structural engineer will give suggestive details on
the methods of supporting the cladding.

The way I have done cladding panels (steel framing supporting limestone
cladding), is to use gravity bearing supports at the top of the panel on
the spandrel beams or columns. At the bottom, I would have wind/seismic
restraints for out of plane loads. The in-plane supports depend on your
system. Sometimes racking/rocking is okay and sometimes not - it's been
about 8 years since I did this type of work and I wasn't high enough up
in the food chain to determine when this was appropriate - I'm sure it
has to do with the window system. You connection at the top and bottom
for in-plane load will determine this behavior.

Issues with slotting holes are based on collision with the structure and
adjacent panels that would damage the cladding or create falling
hazards. If you have Seismic Design Manual Vol II from ICBO, I believe
there are some examples there and maybe some details. The joint sizes
and caulk type may be limiting factors.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cladding taking load out of a
collector beam. I also would avoid field welding as much as possible.
Usually there are embeds in the floor that allow you to mount your
panels. You need leveling devices to get the thing in the right place,
and the use of bolted connections allow for these adjustments.

HTH
-gerard
Santa Clara, CA