RE: Autodesk Revit building modeler

I feel very comfortable with AutoCAD ADT 2 in that I can create my own
details using the old Softdesk add=in that allows me to create
parametric shapes and structural materials. I obtained a copy of AutoCAD
ADT 3.3 and tried it for a day. I felt it was too much tied to the
Online Autodesk libraries. Although I did not spend enough time with it,
I felt like a fish out of water with it. In my opinion, unless you are
working from a large office that can use the online service and
coordinate large projects with your clients, then ADT 2 is as much as I
need to be productive.
There is a point where ADT is growing to include much more than we need
to produce a structural drawing in a very productive way. The cost of
the upgrade, their desire to tie us into monthly fees to maintain or
software and the growing online library of useless and often confusing
parts library is simply not worth the effort (downtime for learning
productivity).
It's late and I may not be clear on this. Autodesk will cease to support
ADT 2.0 soon, but what does it really mean to me unless there is a
change in the operating system that will not backward support the
product. Actually, you have to install it using the compatibility mode
for Windows 98 when upgrading to Windows XP.
Another thing that really urks me with AutoCAD is that they will be
charging you a fairly high figure for a small office to move to ADT 4.0
for AutoCAD 2003. This version will rewrite the DWG format so that they
can maintain their proprietary control over the drawing. They claim that
the new format is much more efficient, but the truth is that hard drive
space even for large drawings is very cheap. The DWG Alliance has made
greater paths to full DWG compatibility between products such as DataCad
and others. Autodesk should be cooperating with the DWG Alliance rather
than fighting to maintain a proprietary format knowing that DXF format
requires time consuming work to insure appropriate layers, colors,
linetypes and more.

ADT 2 is the last version of AutoCAD that I will support. I may move
down to the smaller version of AutoCAD, but I will probably run my ADT 2
into the ground and keep it on a machine that will always have a
compatible operating system. I've become productive with model and paper
space drawings and am able to place all of my drawings into one drawing
on different sheets using model space and setting layers on and off for
each plan or detail I want to show. ADT 2 was excellent in teaching me
to overcome the Model/Paper space fear and discover just how productive
it can be.

In addition to them hiding the structural package (which I immediately
found even though it was not supported in the installation instructions)
it has become the most important feature to me. They did the same thing
to the Express Tools (1 through 9) which was offered free for some time
and then removed and offered for a price.

Software Developers are not satisfied with marketing a license for a
price until they are ready to introduce a decent upgrade. Instead, they
want a steady income and are marketing a service agreement with a
monthly fee to "insure that you have the latest updates at all time".
I'm not sure of most of you, but as an independent, my monthly income
fluctuates and now is the time for me to say "Enough!" - I'm not going
into monthly debt with every thing from Cad software, to Utilities and
to Media materials such as Cable or Satellite radio. This is simply too
much to ask when the sum total of your income is allocated each month to
your tools for business, the products your household needs to operate
and the entertainment that you seek which was, at one point in time,
paid for by commercial time.

Like the movie I can't recall the name of; "I've had enough and I'm not
going to take anymore of it!!!!". We all need to yell it from our roof
tops!!

Guess I got over-dramatic, but I see a trend coming and I don't think
that this trend will survive the public when they become slaves to
monthly payments.

This will be a major article on the Structuralist as it will encompass
almost every facet of our existence if we don't put a stop to it now. I
urge you to visit the Structuralist in another week where I will cover
this issue and take your comments.

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer