RE: sheet piles, one more time

I would not use the pole formula.  On the surface the two problems might
seem similar but there are enough differences to justify not using the
"canned" equations.  If you can get a copy of JE Bowles text, I think you
will find some examples using layered soils.  The same with the US Steel
manual.

As far as general notes for hammer size and type, leave it to the contractor
to select these items, especially if you don't have a good feel for what it
is going to take.

bks