RE: Simplified Seismic Design Trends

I would argue a little caution.  In general, "simplified" design
procedures tend to mean that more generalized engineering assumptions need
to be made which tends tends to result in more conservative designs (good
from an engineering point of view).  While this is potentially good from
an engineering point of view from both cost/time and potentially safety
(assuming some of those "generalized engineering assumptions" don't
include anything that would result in unsafe assumptions), it typically
means that construction costs will be higher as typically more
"conservative" designs tend to result in things like more material and
other construction related costs.  And like it or not, constructions costs
tend to be MUCH more significant than design costs...from the point of
view of the client who is paying both costs.

Thus, the question becomes one of can you justify the cost to your client
to build the project WHILE also justifying the your cost to produce the
design.  You might save TONS of time with a more simplified design but end
up producing designs that cost significantly more to construct.  Thus,
while you might be able to lower cost of design services to the client
(or just increase your profit without lower the client's cost), clients
may ultimately pass you by to go with someone who charges them a little
more (or the same amount) to get a design that costs significantly less to
build.

The point is that simplified design, while nice and desirable for many
reasons (less engineering time involved, less likely for
misinterpretations/mistakes to be made, etc), also has some downsides
that you need to be aware of.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI