RE: Simplified Seismic Design Trends

Chris, I really appreciate your posts.  You bring a view to us that is
different than what structural engineers normally have.  However, I think
that your following point is something I would disagree with.

> Think about it for a minute--You can't know how a structure
> will perform
> if you don't know the loading.

With buildings, we DO know how they will perform without knowing the loads.
At least the normal gravity, wind and seismic loads.  Remember the old
influence lines?  Same concept.  We know how they will behave under loads we
just need to determine the point at which they either will bend too much or
will break.  And that usually is a magnitude of multiples not tenths.

I'm done!

Jim Persing