From: Samir Ghosn [mailto:sghosn(--nospam--at)harris-assoc.com]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 11:18 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Column Canopy R value

To those of you who do fuel canopy design or plan review,  Do you agree
with an R=2.2 for a column considered part of the lateral system.  The
column is not embeded in footing like a flag pole nor does the base
plate
connection covered by grade beam to provide fixity.  Some may consider
the
base plate will provide equivalent fixity??.  the Column in question
have a
one inch base plate and assumed to take moment at the base plate by
virtue
of anchor bolt arrangement.  What is your take on it?
Samir Y. Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates
800-827-4901 xt 360