RE: Column Canopy R value

We use R=2.2 just as you stated, but the base of the column is assumed to be
fixed at the footing through the anchor rods and baseplate configuration.
We do not use any fixity at the top so that the columns are truly
cantilevered from the footing.  This is the normal and usual method of
designing fueling canopies - at least in the Western U.S.

HTH
Jim Persing, PE