Re: Columns exposed to lateral loads

The stiffener plate is not capable of preventing lateral displacement of
the compression flange.  It also not capable of preventing twist of the
entire column section.  As a result, it cannot qualify as a brace point for
the purposes  of determining L-sub-b.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor, Aliso Viejo, CA
rick.drake(--nospam--at)fluor.com
949-349-5791

*********

                      "John Nader"
                      <johnenader(--nospam--at)msn.com      To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

                      05/18/03 12:14 PM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  Columns exposed to lateral loads

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" />
I am desiging a tall steel column (55 feet) that will be receiving wind
loads.

The exterior column flange is braced using the girts under positive
pressure.   Can I consider the stiffener plates as a brace for the interior
flange when the subject to negative pressure.

Thanks in advance for your input.

John.

the views of the company.