RE: STEEL DESIGN REFERENCE

Not sure that one book will cover that all.  Here are some books skewed
towards Buildings... Others surely exist for Bridges, Transmission Towers,
Water Towers, etc.

For Load Application:
1) Refer to the building code(s) used on a particular project

Common Design Assumptions:
Many books for this... Assumptions will vary based upon the structural
system being used.
1) The Salmon and Johnson book mentioned is good
2) "Design of Welded Structures" ... older book by Omar Blodgett is a good
book (+-$15 from Lincoln Arc)... This is good for the common assumptions
buried in the details of the other typical calculations
3) Metal Buildings book by xxxx (can't remember) is decent at telling
assumptions with metal buildings (as well as the MBMA design manual)
4) AISC ASD and LRFD books (including commentary)
5) AISI Cold-Form Design Manual
6) AISI/ NASPEC Cold-Form Design Manual
7) Colf-Formed Steel Design by Dr. Yu is a good book for cold-formed steel
(cfs)
8) another cold-formed Steel book by Dr. Hancock is another good cfs book
... I am sure this list could go on depending on the specific assumptions
you might be looking for

Common Design Criteria:
1) Again refer to the applicable building code
2) Other guides also exist from AISC (AISC Design Guides), MBMA, AISE, SJI,
etc.

General Geometry of Structures:
1) Nothing comes to mind here except that the above references each have
some of this... don't recall a "this is how you layout your structure" book

HTH,
Greg Effland, P.E.
KC, MO USA