Re: OCBF

Dan:

I've been working on interpreting this for a couple weeks now and I'm still not really sure what the current methodology is.  My current feel for this is that the beam-column connection should be designed based on the same load as the brace connections.
  This is because AISC Seismic Provisions (1997) Part 1, Section 14.3a includes it in it's design requirements.  I think it just makes sense if you have to design those other connections like that, it should be carried all the way thru.

Now, my issue with this is we have to design for the expected tensile strength of the brace.  Now, this becomes a fairly high load for some of my connections when the expected load is no where close.  Compression controls all of the braces because of their KL/r ratio.  Are you seeing this as well?

Seth