From: Bill Marczewski [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)bsmstructural.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 11:34 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: New concrete SOG on existing SOG

I've been asked to design a (N) new concrete SOG foundation for a =
pre-eng. Metal building.  The site contains an existing warehouse with
an (E) existing concrete SOG.  The owner wants to raise (E) SOG a total
of 9" via (N) SOG, to be level with an adjacent building.  What are the
lists thoughts on pouring a structural overlay slab on existing, should
any sand layer be present between new and existing slab?  Owner doesn't
particularly want to pour 9" of concrete if something of a compacted
road base between layers could be used.  I'm not familiar with doing
this.  I'll continue my research but would like to hear some of the
rules of thumb for pouring such a slab.  Thank you.

Bill S. Marczewski, P.E.