From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 1:43 PM
To: Seaint (E-mail)
Subject: Seismic using 2000 IBC / 1997 AISC Seismic Provisions

IBC 2000, section 2212.1.1 'Seismic Design Category A, B & C' requires
designers to follow the AISC Seismic Provisions unless designing systems
designated as "steel systems not detailed for seismic".  In the 1997 AISC
Seismic Provisions, section 1 'Scope' states "These provisions shall apply
to buildings that are classified in the Applicable Building Code as Seismic
Design Category (SDC) D... and higher...".

So the IBC says to use the AISC Seismic Provisions, but the AISC Seismic
Provisions do not apply to most of the projects I design... SDC A, B & C.  I
am missing something?

When I design steel framed buildings in SDC B & C, do I follow the AISC
Seismic Provisions?

Also, regarding SDC A, do I need to following the AISC Seismic Provisions?
IBC section 1616.6, 'Analysis procedures' "Exceptions: 1. Structures
assigned to Seismic Design Category A."  If I follow AISC, what do I do...
SDC A is excepted from seismic analysis?

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE
Butler, Rosenbury & Partners
300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505
Springfield, MO 65806-2217