RE: Crane impact factors in AISC / Building Codes / ASCE 7/ CMAA

Bruce,

As Gary has stated the impact factors are typically included for the runway
beams and not the columns/foundations.  The impact factors are also
typically included on the brackets (assuming a support bracket for the crane
versus auxiliary columns).  AISC Design Guide #7 also indicates that the
AISE Report (Tech. Report #13) requires impact to be considered on crane
columns when one crane is the governing criterion.  Did a very quick look
through AISE and at first glance did not find this provision... It does
appear that they also do not include impact factors for foundations.

For impact you might want to also refer to the building code... some
building codes have more stringent impact criteria than the standard AISC %
impacts... Off of the top of my head I don't remember which code in
particular had higher impacts, seems like it was BOCA/NBC (93 or newer) and
ASCE7 (88 or newer)... not completely sure about the newer versions of those
codes.

HTH,
Greg Effland, P.E.
KC, MO USA