CONNECTION DESIGN

Hello,
Talking about connections design, I've heard that some people design them based on the maximum capacity of the supported (beam) and supporting members (column or girder) instead of designing them for the applied loads and combinations. They say is to guarantee that if the structure fails, it won't be in the connections.

But what about the axial load in the column for example? What capacity would you use? Does any one know where can I get more information about this design practice for connections?

Thank you,

Juan Jo