Re: Crane impact factors in AISC / Building Codes / ASCE 7/ CMA

>Impact applies only to the runway beam as the deflection of the beam
>creates a magnifying effect.
>Consequently, impact does not apply to columns and foundations.
If I were going to quibble about this, I'd say that any impact forces
transmitted into the runway girders are necessarily carried by the
attached columns. The load increase to the supporting structure is only
the impact factor times the weght of the crane, not the impact factor
times the total of the supporting structure live and dead loads. The
impact allowance only reflects the inertia of the crane itself.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw