Residential Partition Dead Load

Dear Folks:

When figuring the weight of wood framed residential buildings, I have seen some engineers use 20 psf (over the floor area) for partition dead load!! 97 UBC and 2003 IBC allows 10 psf for partition dead load, for earthquake calculations.

I recently calculated the partition dead loads for a few typical homes and got 5 psf of floor area for the interior partitions, and about 5 psf for the exterior partitions when amortized over the floor area. (5+5=10 psf)

What are the structural engineers using on big subdivision projects??

Thanks,

Jim Adams