Basic CMU design (was Fireproof partitions)

OK, so we convinced the client to go with a CMU free standing (nonbearing)
wall.  One of them is 50' long by 12' high.  Since I really haven't
designed in masonry before, I have a number of general questions.  If any
body out there can bear with me, I'll express my concerns.  Furthermore, I
am sure there are some considerations that I am neglecting, so any
additional info would be greatly appreciated.

First off, I am pretty sure that I can get away with 8" CMU, reinforced
with #5 bars  at either 16" or 24" oc (much less will do, but my boss would
like this as a minimum).  It is designed to take only flexure, and besides
wind pressure, are there any other loads I should consider (I'm also
considering the self weight at the base of the wall, but it is negligible).

I cannot seem to find a minimum steel ratio in the UBC, only maximums and
maximum allowable stresses.  Is there one?

Anchorage is another concern I have.  We are using an exiting slab on the
site which is between 24" and 30" thick.  Because of erection concerns and
the construction schedule, we can't have the reinforcement sticking out of
the ground before hand and can't cut the slab when the wall will be
installed.  Therefore, we are going to try to embed some hooks and tie into
the longitudinal slab reinforcement early, and have a coupler at the top of
the slab.  Then when the contractor gets around to installing the wall, we
can tie the wall reinforcement directly into the couplers.  How does that
sound?  As it is, I am trying to use a single bar in the center of the
block(s).  But when anchoring, do I need two bars (one up against each
interior wall) to transfer the moment at the footing, or can I keep the
single bar as long as the CMU can take the compression

What kind of requirement, if any, is there for grouting beneath the wall?
Am I required to have a pilaster for this type of wall?  Or can I design it
as a pure flexural member.  Is there a shear requirement along the length?

I suppose that covers the majority of my questions.  Any help is
appreciated.

Regards,
Eugene

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           "Stuart,        |
|         |           Matthew"        |
|         |           <mStuart@schoord|
|         |           epalma.com>     |
|         |                           |
|         |           05/14/2003 01:48|
|         |           PM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to seaint       |
  |        To:      "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>                                                      |
  |        cc:                                                                                                     |
  |        Subject: RE: Fireproof partitions                                                                       |

How about CMU?