Re: Wood Construction Holdowns at Corners

We've found it's only reasonable if the force is less than 3,000  # or so for Hem-Fir construction using 16d nails.  You just need to make sure you have a load path from the sheathing from the alt. wall to the studs that have a hold-down.  Otherwise, sometimes it's cheaper just to add the add'l hold-down.   It's also easier to verify the construction was performed correctly if you have the two hd's rather than the one.

Seth