Re: Wood Construction Holdowns at Corners

Jim:

We use post at corners and design the holdown for the worst direction uplift plus
1/3 to 1/2 the uplift in the other direction.  We prefer to use PHD holdowns.
Where you have an outside corner you nail plywood to post directly. If you have one inside and the other outside plywood condition you can attach a stud to the post and nail plywood to stud.  If it is a high shear value we usually notch plywood over sill and attach directly to post.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA