Re: Basic CMU design (was Fireproof part

Thanks to all that responded.

A few more questions now that I have the wall pretty much designed.  What
am I obligated to call out on the construction drawings?

The obvious things are the blocks and the reinforcement.  But there are
others that I am not sure on.  Do I have to specify the following:

Compressive strength f'm (I did already, but just asking)
Grout requirements
Mortar requirements
Load Tests (if any)
Inspection
When and how to end the reinforcement (at the top and ends of the wall)
Other requirements (temperature during installation, etc)

Again, since we dont typically design in masonry, I do not recall seeing
anything about masonry construction in our general notes, specifications,
or typical details.  I just want to have my bases covered incase somebody
asks about it later.

Thanks again

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Roger Turk      |
|         |           <73527.1356@comp|
|         |           userve.com>     |
|         |                           |
|         |           05/28/2003 09:00|
|         |           AM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to seaint       |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                |
  |        To:      seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org                                                                              |
  |        cc:                                                                                                     |
  |        Subject: Re: Basic CMU design (was Fireproof part                                                       |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Eugene,

The minimum reinforcing for masonry walls was 0.0020 times gross area of
wall, with not less than 0.0007 in one direction.

I say, was, because this minimum is now only specified for seismic zones 3
&
4 although the origin of the requirement had nothing to do with seismic.  A

number of years ago (35-40), I wrote Brick Institute of America (BIA)
inquiring as to the origin of this minimum reinforcing requirement and was
told that it was based on the ACI minimum reinforcing for concrete walls.
However, since masonry was "partially cured" when installed, it was felt
that
the reinforcing would be subjected to only half the creep and shrinkage
that
concrete walls would be, therefor the minimum reinforcing was taken as 1/2
the ACI minimum reinforcing for concrete walls.

Since it has nothing to do with seismic, I continue to use the 0.0020
value.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Eugene wrote:

. > I figured there was an ACI spec on masonry.  Hmm, I doubt anybody in
the
. > office will have a copy though.  As you may be able to tell, we don't
. > design in CMU on a regular basis.  Thanks for the help though.  I
. > appreciate it.

. > -Eugene