From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 9:42 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Wood Construction Holdowns at Corners

Why can't you use one hold down at the corner post?

Sure, you have to consider 1.0*Transverse loads + 0.3*Longitudinal loads
and vice versa, but, IMO, it sure beats installing two hold downs.

The corner "post" could be the typical triple stud with the hold down
mounted to the face of the stud. If the sheathing is attached to the
triple studs in both directions, the hold down should also work as long
as there is a load path from the sheathing to the hold down. If the hold
down is a PHD with screws attached to only two studs, then the third
stud has to be nailed to the other two to provide a load transfer. This
should be easily accomplished by 16Ds at the same spacing as the shear
wall edge nailing, but you need to check this out for yourself.

After all, the hold down doesn't know which way the shear force is
acting, the post is just trying to lift off the foundation.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA