From: Seth W. Cutler [mailto:seth(--nospam--at)rlmorrisonengr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:31 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Wood Construction Holdowns at Corners

Also, The inside stud would have to be countersunk if you use the HD or HDA holdowns with thru bolts. If you countersink those bolts, I would guess that you loose the value of the countersunk stud? I guess that is why the PHD's are a good solution.

One solution we have when using HD or HDA's is to use a carriage bolt.  Though we have switched over to PHD'S OR HDQ8's if we can get away with it.  Slightly higher cost per piece but faster/cheaper to install.

Jim K.