Re: Residential Partition Dead Load

Jim:

In my design, I calculuate the weight of the walls and add them to the floor weight for mass calculations. The wall load always exceeded the 10psf code allows - more like 15psf. I do not reduce the weights for windows and doors.

Gautam

From: "james adrian adams" <shearwalls(--nospam--at)msn.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Residential Partition Dead Load
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 15:29:39 -0700

Dear Folks:

When figuring the weight of wood framed residential buildings, I have seen some engineers use 20 psf (over the floor area) for partition dead load!! 97 UBC and 2003 IBC allows 10 psf for partition dead load, for earthquake calculations.

I recently calculated the partition dead loads for a few typical homes and got 5 psf of floor area for the interior partitions, and about 5 psf for the exterior partitions when amortized over the floor area. (5+5=10 psf)

What are the structural engineers using on big subdivision projects??

Thanks,

Jim Adams