Wind uplift on Roof

Rich,

Is it a truly "open" structure or will it have storage, mechanical,
industrial equipment stored under the roof, or will it be a shelter where
trains and/or trucks will prevent wind from freely leaving the structure?

In any event, I would recommend that you look at ASCE Transactions, Volume
126, 1961, Part II, pgs 1124-1198, particularly Table 4(a) thru 4(f).  Table
4(d) covers shelter roofs and has too much information to provide here.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Rich Lewis wrote:

. >         I am designing an open structure using ASCE 7-95.  It has clear
. > span rigid frames.  Table 6-1 of ASCE 7-95 has an equation for
. > calculating wind for an open structure, however it is for the horizontal
. > force only.  How do I calculate the uplift force on the roof for the
. > rigid frame?  I have a 1:12 roof slope on a 50 ft. span so the vertical
. > projected area for the horizontal force is small.  I know I must have a
. > big uplift force but I'm not sure of where the numbers are generated.

. > Thanks for your help!

. > Rich