From: Charley Hamilton [mailto:chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 1:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Wood Construction Holdowns at Corners

Gary -

PHDs are a Simpson hold-down product that are designed with the intent
of eliminating (or at least minimizing) post uplift deformations due to
initial straining of the HD under load.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors_list/PHD.html

Compare this against the HD/HDA series of hold-downs which are basically
folded metal straps, making them very susceptible to plate deformations
due to the load of the anchor bolt.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors_list/HD.html

HTH,

Charley Hamilton