RIGID DIAPHRAGM IN WOOD FRAMED CUSTOM RESIDENCES

I am curious to know how well the rigid diaphragm approach to structural design works with custom residential projects.

In my experience you need to have quite a bit of flexibility (no pun) in your design to allow for all of the field revisions (and screwups) than come along.  Say that nice piece of 12' shear that you designed with is eye-balled by the owners, and they want an additional 6' patio door.  I know you can say they can't have it, but realistically, I have found that I must be able to accommodate things like this in order to succeed in the market.   Now if you chop up that wall it won't just affect that shear line it will affect your entire orthogonal direction.

This doesn't even include the thought of remodeling or additions...

Any comments?

Pat Clark