Re: RIGID DIAPHRAGM IN WOOD FRAMED CUSTOM RESIDENCES

Pat,

My residential designs are typically based on rigid diaphragms.  I believe that it is a realistic assumption if the shear walls are wood-sheathed.

One advantage of the rigid diaphragm assumption in the case that you cite is that the supplemental shear strength needed to accommodate the lost capacity need not be placed in the same wall line as the lost capacity -- there may be another wall that can be more easily strengthened on another parallel wall line.

Nels

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA