From: Tom Higgins [mailto:thiggins(--nospam--at)grpmack.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 11:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Property beta-sub-w

Colleagues,

Would someone like to take a look at the beta-sub-w property for angles
listed in Table C5.1 of the Commentary to the Specification for
Allowable Stress Design of Single-Angle Members as well as in the
corresponding LRFD specification.  I tried calculating this property, as
well as z-nought, using Mathcad, and got results significantly different
from those tabulated.

The definition for this property is given in the text of the
specification, Section 5.3.2 in either 1989 ASD and 2000 LRFD.  Note
that the 2000 LRFD version alters the definition, substituting z-nought
for z in one place in the integrand.  If anyone is interested in working
with me on this I'll sent my Mathcad worksheet for your inspection.

Thanks.

Tom

Thomas B. Higgins, P.E., S.E.

Group Mackenzie
0690 S.W. Bancroft Street
Portland, OR 97239-0039
Phone (503) 224-9560
Fax (503) 228-1285
<http://www.groupmackenzie.com>
This e-mail is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended
solely for the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, access
is prohibited.  As e-mail can be altered, its integrity is not
guaranteed.