Re: old rib bolts

> Also, does anyone know of references that discuss rib bolts of that
> vintage in more detail?  What ASTM would non-high-strength rib bolts
> have been supplied to back then?  Would a 1" rib bolt be installed in a
> 1" hole?  Should there be head marks if the rib bolts were high strength?

In addition to the aforementioned Bethlehem Steel "A325-strength" rib bolts,
there was (is?) an ASME standard for a similar product with ribs.  ASME
B18.5 covers an ASTM A307 Grade A-strength bolt called a "Round Head Ribbed
Neck Bolt".  The ribs on this product are not 'interupted' as they are on
the Bethlehem Steel product.

The Bethlehem literature indicates that their high-strength rib bolts were
intented to be used in 'standard punched or drilled holes', presumably
1-1/16" diameter in your case.  Bethlehem's brochure does show radial lines
and 'A325' on the head for the H.S. product ---- though such a practice
would not be appreciated by ASTM.

David Sharp
TurnaSure LLC