RE: Brick under lintel

Title: RE: Brick under lintel

http://www.halfenusa.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwain Hendershot [mailto:dhendershot(--nospam--at)lawsonelser.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 7:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Brick under lintel

I have a brick skinned building with the several wide openings (approx 13').
The architect wants to see brick when you pass under these openings (and not
the underside of a steel lintel).  The section through the opening has two
soldier course on the inside and outside face with two bricks laying down on
the bottom surface(about 2' total width).  The brick on the inside face runs
up about 2' to the floor above.  I don't believe that arching action of the
brick is an option here as the depth is too shallow and the steel beam is in
the way.  My first thought was to use stone anchors and hang the brick from
the beam above but this looks terribly difficult and expensive.  It seems
that this would be a common occurrence.  I am concerned that the brick on
the bottom may want to fall out eventually.  Any suggestions for supporting
this brick?

Thanks in advance,

Dwain Hendershot

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp