Steel Casing Pipe Joint Welds

I have a situation where I have a 48" diameter casing pipe 3/4" thick that will be buried under 40 feet of fill for a highway. It will be installed in an open cut (it is a new highway). We called out for the welded joints to be double bevel (both ends of pipes beveled). The Contractor would like to know whether it can be single bevel. I would like to know if there is a standard related to this - or where I should look for direction.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
1584 Weaversville Road