Re: Steel Casing Pipe Joint Welds

Ken,

As a minimum I would request a Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) from your contractor on exactly what they intend to do.  Also request as part of the WPS that they include the electrode vendor data sheet and to clearly indicate the prequalified joint designation or, if not prequalified, provide specific test results or a PQR.  This gives you good (CYA) documentation and provides the inspector in the field or shop something to verify.

That said, your question depends on several variables such as welding process and more importantly whether you are trying for a partial or complete penetration weld (PJP vs CPJ).  Go to your AISC or AWS manuals and you will see that for either PJP or CPJ  there are prequalilfied welding procedures for single bevel groove welds with unlimited thickness.  Note that some require a backing bar which you may not want.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Ken Peoples" <kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net>

06/03/2003 06:36 AM
Please respond to seaint