From: Richard M. Beldyk, P.E., CPEng [mailto:rich(--nospam--at)usbridge.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 11:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Steel Casing Pipe Joint Welds

Are you talking about figure B Double-Vee or figure A Single-VEE weld joint?

(Image from  Army Training Circular No. 9-237 WELDING THEORY AND APPLICATION http://www.machinist.org/army_welding/Ch7.htm#P710 )

At a wall thickness of 3/4" I would use figure A. 1/8" root opening, 3/32" to 1/8" root land with backing. Use a 3/16" electrode for the root pass, sequential welds can be made with 1/4" electrodes, without backing backgouge the inside of the pipe and put in a single pass.

I doubt very much that the contractor can put in a good weld if a single bevel, (only one side beveled) at 3/4" wall thickness is utilized. It is generally common practice to limit the use of a single-bevel weld with backing to wall thickness less than 5/8", w/o backing to wall thickness 3/16".

I might agree with a single J-groove weld 1/8" and, 1/"-3/32" Root opening, radius 1/2", opening greater than 35deg, typically this is done with a pipe lathe of mill.

Richard M. Beldyk, PE, CPEng, NSPE, MIEAust, CWEng, CPE

Professional Engineer - Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma,  Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
Chartered Professional Engineer - MIEAust, NPER
Registered Member - International Registry of Professional Engineers (USCIEP)
AWS Certified Welding Engineer
AFE Certified Plant Engineer