Brick under lintel

We have done these brick soffits in the past in our office, and they do tend
to be expensive.  In any event, we used custom brick, with longitudinal
holes through the long dimension.  We then placed a #3 bar through the
bricks (essentially threading the bricks) with hooked anchors every 24" or
so up to and through a plate on the bottom of a wide flange lintel above.
The bars are grouted solid as the assembly is constructed either on the
ground or on scaffolding.  Not an easy detail, but it provides the required
effect with a solid brick surface under the opening.
Dave Bibbs