Re: augered piles

Steven,

I would NOT say that it is impossible to get moisture in the full 20' of
expansive soil.

Since soil moisture accumulates under a building, stone, rock, piece of
plastic, piece of cardboard, etc. in even the driest of conditions, the
moisture under a building can accumulate gradually and dry out so slowly that
it can be characterized that moisture containing soil under a building
*never* drys out, yes, the entire 20' layer of expansive soil can be
subjected to increased moisture.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Steven A. wrote:

. > Roger,

. > Assuming your 20' depth of expansive soil is bone dry, could you get
. > moisture down that deep and fully
. > distributed through the soil mass to realize its full (theoretical)
. > expansiveness?

. > Steven A.
. > Los Angeles